What are some key points of the Revised Guidelines for Idol Immersions by CPCB?
On 12th May 2020, CPCB released 'Revised Guidelines for Idol Immersions'.
Key Points from the revised guidelines for Idol Immersion:
- Idols made using Plaster of Paris (PoP) shall be banned.
- Accessories used along with the Idols should be made using dried flower components, straw and other biodegradable materials.
- Use of Single-Use-Plastic and Thermocol (Polystyrene) shall not be permitted.
- Use of toxic and non-biodegradable chemical dyes/oils paints on Idols shall be strictly prohibited.
- All craftsmen or artisans or manufacturers involved in making Idols shall be registered with Civic Bodies.
- Large scale idol manufacturers (100 idols / day) shall be registered with the Urban Local Bodies (ULB).
- Pooja Organizing Committees shall procure only eco-friendly idols from respective ULB registered or authorized craftsmen or artisans.
- Pooja Organizing Committees shall seek prior permission from ULBs at least 1 month in advance for the idol immersions.
- Waste collection centers for collection of segregated waste in the vicinity of the immersion sites shall be arranged by the local bodies.
- Littering or burning of solid wastes generated at the immersion sites shall be strictly prohibited.