On 12th May 2020, CPCB released ‘Revised Guidelines for Idol Immersions’.
Key Points from the revised guidelines for Idol Immersion:
- Idols made using Plaster of Paris (PoP) shall be banned.
- Accessories used along with the Idols should be made using dried flower components, straw and other biodegradable materials.
- Use of Single-Use-Plastic and Thermocol (Polystyrene) shall not be permitted.
- Use of toxic and non-biodegradable chemical dyes/oils paints on Idols shall be strictly prohibited.
- All craftsmen or artisans or manufacturers involved in making Idols shall be registered with Civic Bodies.
- Large scale idol manufacturers (100 idols / day) shall be registered with the Urban Local Bodies (ULB).
- Pooja Organizing Committees shall procure only eco-friendly idols from respective ULB registered or authorized craftsmen or artisans.
- Pooja Organizing Committees shall seek prior permission from ULBs at least 1 month in advance for the idol immersions.
- Waste collection centers for collection of segregated waste in the vicinity of the immersion sites shall be arranged by the local bodies.
- Littering or burning of solid wastes generated at the immersion sites shall be strictly prohibited.