Water Saving Tips help reduce water wastage by 20-40%
Over 70% of the planet is covered with water, of which only 3% is usable and consumable. Out of this 3%, 900 Million Liters of water is being wasted everyday adding to the scarcity of water. Amidst us wasting the water and the planet facing water crisis, here are a few water saving tips.
Water Saving Tips for Households
- Keep the faucet turned off while you are brushing your teeth, shaving, washing your hands, doing dishes, and so on.
- Turn off the shower while applying soap or shampoo.
- While you are waiting for hot water, use a bucket or bowl to catch the cold water. This can be used to water the plants or refill the flushing tank or for other cleaning places.
- Check for leaky faucets & plumbing. This usually helps save approximately 15% of your indoor water consumption.
- Add some ink to your flush tanks and check if the toilet bowl is colored even when you have not flushed. If there is ink in the bowl, call a plumber to fix the leaky flushing system.
- Install and use a dual flushing systems. Compared to conventional systems, these help save 30% water.
- Install a garbage can inside bathrooms and powder rooms instead of disposing the trash into the toilet bowl.
- Re-use grey water produced for watering plants or cleaning homes or cars or toilet flushing. (Grey water: Wastewater generated in households or office buildings i.e. all streams except for the wastewater from toilets)
- Using Dishwashers and Washing Machines at full loads and optimum settings helps not waste water.
- Faucets and Shower heads can fitted with low flow aerators. This adjustment impacts approximately 70% of household water use.
Water Saving Tips for Hotels & Restaurants
- Most restaurants and hotels throw away half drank glasses of water in the waste water line without reusing them. In such scenarios, you can start saving 50% of drinking water by serving half a glass of water.
- Wash your fruits and vegetables in a pan of water instead of running water from the tap.
- While rinsing fruit and vegetables, collect the water you use and reuse it to water house plants.
- Reuse leftover water from cooked or steamed foods to start a nutritious soup, it’s one more way to get eight glasses of water a day.
- When washing dishes by hand, don’t let the water run. Fill one basin with wash water and the other with rinse water.
- Commercial refrigerators and ice-makers are cooled with water. Upgrade to air-cooled appliances for significant water savings.
Some General Water Saving Tips
- If your shower fills a small bucket in less than 20 seconds, replace the shower head with a newer & efficient model.water your grass at the same time.
- Use a commercial car wash that recycles water.
- Insulate hot water pipes for more immediate hot water and energy savings.
- Avoid distribution of packaged water in events or festivals. Over 50% of this packaged water is wasted.
For better water savings, you can start by determining your water footprint. You can check you water footprint here.
Water Saving Tips
Amidst us wasting the water and the planet facing water crisis, here are a few water saving tip that will help us start conserving.