To what extent are product manufacturers responsible for plastic pollution?
Plastic pollution by various plastic products and items has spread all across the globe posing a severe threat to the environment.
As per Plastics (Manufacture, Usage and Waste Management) Rules - 2011, the manufactures are responsible for the plastic manufactured till it reaches its "end of life".
Based on this, there are heavy responsibilities on plastic product manufacturers :
- To ensure that no damage is caused to the environment during the manufacturing process
- To create awareness among all product consumers about their responsibilities
- To ensure channelization of recyclable plastic waste fraction to recyclers
- To have appropriate policies for their proper disposal and or treatment
- To include or involve the use of recycled plastic in the manufacturing of newer products