To what extend are product manufacturers responsible for plastic pollution?
Waste plastic products and items are polluting all the different parts of the globe affecting the environment and all its aspects.
Plastic pollution by various plastic products and items has spread all across the globe posing a severe threat to the environment.
As per Plastics (Manufacture, Usage and Waste Management) Rules – 2011, the manufactures are responsible for the plastic manufactured till it reaches its “end of life”.
Based on this, there are heavy responsibilities on plastic product manufacturers :
- To ensure that no damage is caused to the environment during the manufacturing process
- To create awareness among all product consumers about their responsibilities
- To ensure channelization of recyclable plastic waste fraction to recyclers
- To have appropriate policies for their proper disposal and or treatment
- To include or involve the use of recycled plastic in the manufacturing of newer products